Effective: May 16, 2018
Charlie Pownall is a reputation and communications advisor, trainer and speaker. Based in Cambridge, England, he is a sole trader who works with companies, organisations and individuals as a retained advisor or on short-term engagements, either direct with his clients, or alongside his business partners.
Charlie Pownall is firmly committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. This policy – together with this website’s Terms and Conditions – explains what information may be collected about you, and how it is managed and used. It also sets out your rights as a user, including your ability to access and have your data amended or deleted.
Collection of your personal information
Charlie Pownall will ask you when he needs information that personally identifies you or allows him to contact you – be this at an event, on the telephone, using a mobile chat application such as WhatsApp and WeChat, or through this website.
The kinds of personal information collected is typically limited to your:
- Organisation name
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Postal address.
The information collected may extend to other types of information when you have expressly requested that Charlie Pownall does so, or when it is necessary to provide a service that is considered within his legitimate interests, for example:
- To keep clients, business partners and suppliers up-to-date with relevant trends, news and product offers.
- To maintain a record of the contact information, professional affiliations, interests and behaviours of journalists, bloggers or other opinion-formers, to ensure they can be contacted quickly and receive information relevant to them.
Collection of internet, web and mobile-based information
This website and certain applications and technologies may collect certain information about you, your behaviours, and the equipment you are using.
- Anonymous browsing. Most areas of this website do not require you to register your personal information. This means that personally identifiable information about you is not collected when you visit and browse this website. However, WordPress, a popular content management platform on which this website runs, together with Google Analytics, a popular data analytics service also employed on this website, may collect information about you, including the IP address and information associated with your IP address, such as your internet service provider (ISP); your operating system, your approximate geographical location; the time you visit this website and the duration of your visit; the page(s) you are visiting; and the type of browser you are using.
- Cookies. Cookies are small files that are placed on your computer or mobile device to collect standard internet log information and visitor behaviour information. This information is used to track and evaluate visitor use of this website. You can set your computer or mobile device not to accept cookies. However, some website features may not function as a result. For further information about cookies, visit http://allaboutcookies.org. You can use Blacklight to check whether this website uses user-tracking technologies.
- Registered users. If you have signed up to receive blog posts and other emails from this website, or to make a query, to seek professional advice, or to file a complaint, you may be asked to provide basic information about yourself such as your name, email address and the name of your organisation. If you choose not to provide such information, you may not be able to access certain areas of this website or to receive information that you have requested from Charlie Pownall.
In addition, some information about you may be collected should you use and interact with Charlie Pownall on social media. This information is typically limited to your username.
How your information is stored
Charlie Pownall will do his best to ensure your personal information is protected against its loss, misuse or unauthorised access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. Personal information he holds is encrypted and is not stored on the cloud, passwords are changed regularly, and two-factor authentication for third-party services are employed where they are available. However, he can not guarantee the security of your personal information.
How your information is used
Personal information collected by Charlie Pownall, on this website, on his social media profiles and elsewhere, may be used:
- To ensure his website and other digital channels are relevant and timely
- To develop and deliver news and commentary relevant to you – typically either by email or by post. You can always opt-out of receiving direct marketing communications.
- To analyse, develop and deliver relevant and appropriate consulting, training and speaking services
- To improve the products and services he offers
- For internal record keeping, including the management of any feedback or complaints.
Charlie Pownall will not sell, rent or share your personal information with any third-party organisation or individual other than to provide a service to which you have expressly requested or agreed to.
Your personal information may be stored and processed in England. Charlie Pownall reserves the right to transfer your information about you to countries outside England, which may not have the same data protection laws as the country in which you reside. By using this site, you consent to any such transfer of information outside of your country.
Charlie Pownall may only reveal your personal information for other purposes if requested to do so by law.
Access to and control of your personal information
You may request access to your personal data by emailing email@example.com. You may also request this in person face-to-face. This information will be provided free.
You may also request that your personal data is amended or deleted if you consider it inaccurate, out-of-date, or incomplete.
This Policy is governed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales, in line with the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (2016) and UK Data Protection Act (2018). The courts of England and Wales will have non-exclusive jurisdiction.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or comments about this Policy. Charlie Pownall endeavours to process and respond to all privacy-related queries quickly.
In the event that you are concerned about or dissatisfied with the manner in which Charlie Pownall collects or handles your information, visit the U.K. Information Commissioner’s Office website or call its helpline on +44 (0)303 123 1113.
If you are based outside the U.K., you may want to contact the authority responsible for information or data protection in your country of residence.
Changes to this statement
This Policy may be updated on an ongoing basis, and all changes will be published on this page.
This Policy was revised on:
- September 23, 2020: Blacklight reference/link added
- March 8, 2019: Location amended to Cambridge, England
- May 21, 2019: UK DPA 2018 reference added
- May 16, 2018: GDPR compliance
- November 7, 2017: Cookies guidance
- May 7, 2016: First published